March 15, 2014

A Visit


"Mama's love had always been the kind that acted itself out with soup pot and sewing basket. " 

 My mama was here this week, visiting from Oregon. She read a million stories, morning, noon, and night.


She read them to fairies or princesses, and little boys with chubby hands.


She rocked and soothed, hugged and snuggled.


She baked a cake and cooked homemade spaghetti sauce, as only she can.


She gave more than one tea party, with tiny china cups and important conversations.


And she brushed teeth, said prayers, and tucked in for the night.


My life as a mother matters so greatly.
I know this without a doubt,
because this lady who gave me my name matters so greatly to me.

And I know it all the more because of how much I am missing her tonight.

9 kind comments from you:

Jen said...

I love this! This makes me cherish the memories I have of me and my mom all the more.

Amanda said...

Mother visits are definitely the best. Always especially hard when they leave.

Jen said...

I love when my mom comes to visit. It's the best ever.

Anonymous said...

mama visits are the best, but always so hard when they leave.

greaterexp said...

Oh, my darling.

Cat said...

Your mom looks so young! Glad she came for a visit; I love when mine does as well.

Jenn said...

Oh this made me cry, Erika. I miss my mother right now too, and sometimes feel like I have the most useless job in the world when I spend all day picking up toys and wiping counters and vacuuming floors and breaking up some nonstop sibling squabble. Thank you for this post.

Kaylee said...

I meant to comment on this way long ago, but here I am...I loved this. It made me all teary-eyed. I know it's so hard being far from family...especially your mom! It's hard to believe I used to get so annoyed by her as a teenager, and here I am, her as one of my best friends! I am so glad your mom came for a visit - it looks like it was amazing! Hope you are settling back into your own routine again.

Fran said...

Your mama is the cutest and sweetest lady!

Post a Comment